IAIA Making History Scholarship Event
The 2022 IAIA Making History Scholarship Event was a resounding success thanks to the generous sponsors, donors, artists, and volunteers who opened their hearts to support IAIA and our students. The event reached beyond La Fonda’s ballroom and across continents to raise almost $850,000 for student scholarships.
The annual scholarship event is IAIA’s largest fundraiser of the year, providing essential scholarship support for our talented students across all disciplines from studio arts and creative writing to cinematography, performing arts, and museum studies. Your support provides vital funds for student scholarships that change lives and shape futures.
Watch highlights from the event on our Vimeo page. Video is filmed and edited by Frosley Fowler (Diné) ‘16.
IAIA’s 2022 Annual Scholarship Event at La Fonda on the Plaza
IAIA’s 2022 annual scholarship event was an evening to remember. Audience members enjoyed Pueblo-inspired cuisine, extraordinary entertainment featuring Native American hoop dancing, celebrity guests, and a special reading by United States Poet Laureate, author, musician, and IAIA alum, Joy Harjo (Mvskoke Nation) ’68.
Marking the special year in 2022, generations of talented graduates gave back through donations of their time, vision, and creativity to commemorate IAIA’s anniversary and support our students. The renowned alumni collaborated to create extraordinary artworks that responded to the rich history and impact of IAIA—the birthplace of contemporary Native arts.
Celebrated live auction artists included:
- Doug Hyde (Nez Perce) ’64 collaborating with Kathleen Wall (Jemez Pueblo) ’14, Wildflowers, Sculpture
- Tony Abeyta (Navajo) ’86 collaborating with Ofuskie (Mvskoke Nation) ’15, First Day, Painting
- Wendy Ponca (Osage) ’78, Hero and Legends Cape, Textiles
- Adrian Wall (Jemez Pueblo) ’14 collaborating with Tony Jojola (Isleta Pueblo) ’76 and Jody Naranjo (Santa Clara Pueblo) ’90, Glass
- Steve LaRance (Hopi and Assiniboine) ’81 collaborating with George Rivera (Pueblo of Pojoaque) ’84, Kenneth Johnson (Muscogee and Seminole), Tony Abeyta (Navajo) ’86, Marian Denipah (Navajo and Ohkay Owingeh) ’83, and Denise Wallace (Chugach Aleut) ’81, Jewelry
- Monte Yellow Bird Sr. (Arikara and Hidatsa) ’78 collaborating with Don Montileaux (Oglala Sioux) ’66 and James Black (Cheyenne), current student, IAIA Family, Ledger Art
- Rose B. Simpson (Santa Clara Pueblo) ’18 collaborating with April Holder (Sac and Fox Nation) ’08 and Marty Two Bulls Jr. (Ogala Lakota) ’11, In This Together, Multimedia
- Cara Romero (Chemehuevi Indian Tribe) ’05, Making History, Photography
Download and view the IAIA Making History Menu.
Countdown to Wednesday, August 16, 2023
Here’s a list of our sponsors—Leadership, Thunderbird, Turquoise, Silver, Community, Contemporary, and Advocate. Thank you to all of our sponsors!
Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation
The City of Santa Fe Arts and Culture Department
Maria and Edward Gale
Santa Fe Art Auction
Anne and Loren Kieve
Cindi and Michael Pettit
Gail and Joel Bernstein
Charles E McKittrick
Chipotle Mexican Grill
Davis-Mayo Associates, LLC, Raven and Laurel Davis-Mayo
La Fonda on the Plaza
Mark Bahti, Bahti Indian Arts
Sheffield Future Heritage Fund at New Mexico Foundation
Two Baroque Girls, Limited and Belle Carpenter
Bidtah N. Becker
Dee Ann McIntyre
The Chickasaw Nation
First Citizens Bank
Mrs. Gene Autry / Autry Museum of the American West
Patricia Foschi for the Stuart Hall Charitable Fund
Vivian Mary and William Carroll
Allan Houser, Inc.
Barbara and Robert Ells
Beverly and Michael Morris
California Institute of the Arts
Dorothy Bracey and Tom Johnson
Dr. Robert Martin and Luci Tapahonso
Dyron Murphy Architects
Ellen and Stephen Hoffman
Santa Fe New Mexican
Walt Disney Imagineering
Cheryl D. Fairbanks
Patricia and Peter Ives
Daniels Insurance Agency, Inc.
Gene Sofer and Judith Bartnoff
James and Gayle Halperin Foundation
Lea Ann and Michael Knight
Louis C. Moller
McCune Charitable Foundation
Susan Esco Chandler and Appy Chandler
Ann Marie Downes
Brenda and Tom Kingery
Dr. James Lee and Paula K (Lee) Possanza
Jaramillo Accounting Group LLC
Robert and Kris Hoffman
Lawrence S. Roberts
Suzette and Rick Sherman
William F. Coleman
IAIA Foundation Executive Director
Institutional Advancement Director
P (505) 424-2309
P (505) 428-5931