Student Success Center
The change from a home to a college environment presents many challenges, academic, social and personal. Different styles of learning and different achievement levels may require help and support. That is what the Student Success Center is designed to do in a “One-Stop-Shop” location. It is a program for student success in a time of great growth and challenge. At the Student Success Center, we provide a safe and supportive learning environment for students of all levels of college preparation.
The Student Success Center offers: Tutoring, Mentoring, Disability Services, Veteran Educational Benefit Services, Financial Aid Services, Student Account Services, Scholarship/Career Services, Early Alert/Dual Credit Services, College Placement Testing Services, Student Academic Record Services and other support for individual students or groups. We host a weekly Talking Circle and pot-luck meal where students come together to share their thoughts and feelings about the week in a safe, healing and confidential environment. With the collaboration of the college, we jointly support the First Year Program, which provides developmental and college-level instruction in English and mathematics so necessary to success.
The purpose of the Student Success Center (SSC) is to support student learning and success. It is a place where students can rest, study and seek assistance from the Student Success Center’s faculty and staff. The SSC includes comfortable living room couches and chairs, a kitchen and a table where students can share a meal and/or study. It also houses the Learning Lab (Tutoring Center), which provides Learning Specialists in English and Math to tutor students. Faculty who teach Essential Studies courses in English, Math and Science work with students in offices located in SSC. Most First Year Academic Advisors are located at SSC.
The mission of the Student Success Center (SSC) is to provide a welcoming place and provide services to support the whole student (intellectual, emotional, spiritual and physical).
The SSC is dedicated to providing a nourishing place for the services that strengthen our students’ ability to flourish and succeed.
We believe learners thrive in a safe and nurturing environment. We are committed to creating and sustaining an intentional space that fosters community and provides networks of academic and personal support.
- To provide the tools and knowledge students need to succeed.
- To serve as a model for other colleges in how to use evidence-based practices to retain and support the whole student.
- To lead IAIA’s student retention effort.
Students will be able to:
- Utilize and sustain an intentional space that is safe and supportive.
- Develop a network of support within the SSC and across campus.
- Apply tools and techniques acquired in SSC programs in appropriate academic and personal contexts.
- Orientation (Support for students’ transition to college)
- Learning Lab
- College Placement Testing
- Academic advising for first-year students
- Supplemental academic instruction via tutoring and computer-based, self-paced learning
- Peer Mentoring
- Student Accounts
- Financial Aid
- Career Services
- Registrar/Records/Transcripts/Course Scheduling
- Dual Credit
- Early Alerts/Excessive Absences Alerts (Intervention for at-risk students each semester)
- Disability Services
- Veteran Enrollment Services
- A comfortable, safe physical space that provides a cozy kitchen/living room environment
- Retention data to serve campus-wide retention efforts
- Support for students at midterm and finals
- Summer high school programming to introduce art (Summer Bridge Program)
Student Accounts and Financial Aid Advisor(505) 424-5732