Services and Policies
The IAIA Library offers several services for research assistance and instruction, obtaining resources from other libraries, acquisition requests, and more. You may request services by selecting a link below and filling out the appropriate form.
IAIA librarians offer instruction on research strategies and the effective use of the Library’s resources. IAIA instructors may request a library instruction session by completing the the form.
Library instruction is most effective when students have an impending assignment requiring them to find information. We can work with you to develop research assignments for your students.
We prefer two weeks notice—with less time we may not be able to accommodate your request.
Submit a Library Instruction Request.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services may be used to obtain materials needed for research or serious study that are not available in the IAIA Library or at another library in Santa Fe.
This Interlibrary Loan service is for currently registered students and currently employed faculty, adjunct faculty and staff of the Institute of American Indian Arts. You must be a registered IAIA Library patron in good standing to be eligible for this service.
Each patron must submit his or her own request and is personally responsible for picking up and returning all materials provided. The IAIA Library will not accept requests placed through a third party.
Submit a Library Interlibrary Loan (Articles). Before you place a request for an article, check the IAIA Library holdings by contacting one of the IAIA librarians. See the IAIA Library hours, staff, and policies.
- Loan periods are set by the lending library, not by the IAIA Library.
- Patrons are responsible for returning items by the due dates.
- Renewals are not automatic and must be requested for each item at least three days in advance of the due date.
- There is a limit of one renewal request per item.
- Patrons may have 5 outstanding ILL requests at one time.
- An “outstanding request” is defined as a request that is still in-process, or item checked-out.
- Interlibrary Loan overdues are taken very seriously because they affect the borrowing privileges from lending libraries for all IAIA Library patrons.
- Overdue fines are determined by the lending library and passed on to the IAIA Library patron who borrowed the material.
- Overdue Interlibrary Loan materials will result in suspension of an individual’s ILL privileges and IAIA Library borrowing privileges until materials are returned and any fines are paid.
- Loss of Interlibrary Loan materials will result in suspension of an individual’s ILL privileges and IAIA Library borrowing privileges until fees for the materials are paid. Determination of fees for lost materials is at the discretion of the lending library.
View the Suggest a Library Purchase form.
- IAIA Students may borrow books for a three-week period with one renewal.
- Students enrolled at another New Mexico college or university may request a “Passport” from their institution’s library and may borrow IAIA circulating materials for a three-week period with no renewals.
- The general public may use any of our resources while in the library.
- Those who feel library resources contain culturally sensitive material, may ask that library.staff reconsider the appropriateness of the item for the collection.
- See the Library Polices (LibGuides).
- See the Archives Policies.